I didn't know it from the beginning, but turns out I married one of those guys that likes to cook. I know, husband jackpot! His speciality is grilling and I won't even pretend for a minute that I came up with this all on my own. But it truly has become a staple in my house. Even if you hit the husband jackpot in areas unrelated to cooking/grilling, this recipe is still for you. I know us mama's can light up the grill when need be, and trust me, this is a need! ;)
1 Whole Chicken
1/2 a can of light beer (Budwiesier, PBR, Coor's Light)**ps, the alcohol burns off
1-2 tbsp Sunflower Oil
Not-so-secret blend of Seasonings (makes large batch for multiple uses)
- 1/4cup paprika
- 1/4cup onion powder
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp ground red pepper
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon (the extra special part, according to my husband)
Beer-can holder << affiliate link
1. Unwrap chicken from package, wash with cold water in sink and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels. If you are a fan of crispy skin, this washing and drying piece is very important.
2. Place 1/2 full beer can into beer can holder, top of can cut off leaving a wide lid.
3. Gently place the Whole Chicken onto the beer can holder, with beer can now inside.
4. Pour oil onto hands and rub all over the chicken skin.
5. Now pour and rub seasoning onto the chicken in desired amount, getting to every nook and cranny of that bird.
6. Place on grill at 275-300 degrees over IN-DIRECT heat for approx. 1.5hrs. Place a drip pan below chicken to catch any juices.
7. Take off once chicken skin is browned and crispy and internal temperature is 165 degrees.