1. Introduce yourself. Tell us a little about your family, husband and children.
2. Where did you first learn about NFP/FAM? Why do you and your husband choose to practice NFP/FAM?
After my first son was born, I knew I never wanted to take any form of hormonal birth control. When he was 6 months old, I was browsing through health books at the library and just so happen to come across Taking Charge of Your Fertility which covers FAM. I checked it out, read it and knew FAM was exactly what we were looking for. After the birth of our second son, I purchased a copy and started studying in-depth. My cycle returned when he was 13 months and we’ve been successfully using FAM for 6 months now.
3. What type of NFP/FAM are you practicing? How did you choose this type over others? Has this changed at all during your marriage?
I am charting using the symptothermal method (charting both waking temperature and cervical mucus). Following symptothermal is simple for me, it’s easy to take my waking temperature every morning and observing cervical mucus only takes a few seconds.
4. Why do you think artificial birth control, like the pill, is the default option for many women who are trying to postpone pregnancy?
I don’t think many women know that there are other options. When I was married at the age of 19, I just went to the OBGYN and was prescribed the pill - no discussion of any other methods, especially not any natural ways. Even after the birth of my second son, while discussing options with my nurse midwife, the only options that were presented were hormonal birth control and IUDs. When I mentioned that we were going to be using FAM, it was met with skepticism.
5. What do you think are the major benefits to using NFP/FAM versus artificial birth control? What are the major cons?
For me, the biggest benefit is that I am not ingesting artificial hormones. Beyond that, the knowledge and awareness of my cycle has made me appreciate the intricacy of my body and respect my cycle. A con to following FAM is that you do have to be diligent with charting and reading your chart to know when you ovulate.
Awareness of my cycle has made me appreciate the intricacy of my body. <--- Tweet this.
If you and your husband are educated about the method you choose to use and are committed to fully following the rules, it really works.